We recommend you get the DVD - same price as a download - unless you really can't wait 2 to 3 weeks or unless you are in one of the Pacific Islands where we can't mail the DVD to you. If you are in New Caledonia you can get the DVD from Noumea Ocean - at Port Sud Marina in Noumea. Call Chloe first to arrange a meeting. Her phone number and a google map showing her location are on her website www.noumeaocean.com.
If your computer does not have a DVD player you can transfer the files from a DVD to a USB drive to install the guides on your computer. Or, you can use Chloe's USB stick to transfer the installation files to your computer.
If you have a very good Internet connection then go ahead and download the guides - but first.....
Due to the very large size of these files you must use a download manager program to avoid problems with the download. A download manager speeds up the download (often by 400%), assures the files are completely downloaded and can check their integrity. If there is a brief server-interrupt during the download (and there is a very good chance of this) the download manager will resume the download without a problem. You'll be glad to have the download manager next time you go to download something from the Internet.
So, before you start the download, go to Freedownloadmanager.org and download and install this excellent, free program.
When you make your payment for the cruising guide you will immediately be transferred to a page with instructions for installing the guides, your username and password to log into the activation centre to activate the cruising guide and links for downloading.
An email is also sent to you from rocket-guides.com with the same information and links, detailed download and installation instructions and your password and username to log in to the activation center.
THE DOWNLOAD LINKS ARE ONLY VALID FOR 72 HRS.
IF THE COMPUTER YOU USE TO DOWNLOAD THE FILE IS NOT THE ONE YOU PLAN TO USE WHEN ACTUALLY CRUISING, COPY THE FILES ONTO A USB KEY AND TRANSFER THEM TO THE COMPUTER YOU INTEND TO USE IT ON. THE GUIDE WILL ONLY BE ACTIVATED FOR ONE COMPUTER BUT YOU CAN PURCHASE A SECOND ACTIVATION FOR YOUR BACKUP COMPUTER.
The companion travel guide does not need to be activated and you can use it on any computer you own.
1. First download and install the download manager.
2. Open the email from rocket-guides.com with the installation instructions. If you did not get one after your purchase check your spam box or use the contact form to email us and we will send it again.
3. Right click on the link in the email and select "copy link address"
4. Open the download manager and select the "Add Download" icon. The download manager will pop up a small window showing the download and where it will be saved on your computer. Click OK. When the download is finished a small notification window will pop-up. Click on the Open to start the installation.
Most people download files of 10MB to 50MB and browsers can usually handle that sized file OK. But when you want to download a really big file - over 100MB - the browser download process can, and often does, fail. This is because during the time it takes to download a big file your connection to the server can be interrupted - either by something your computer decides to do or by one of the multitude of connections between your computer and where the file is stored on a server.
Our guides are very big files - 400 to 500MB - and the chances are that you'll have at least one interruption during the time it takes to download them. So the part that does download won't work and you'll need to start over again - and again.
To download the files without problems and to speed up the download you need to first download and install a free download manager.
We recommend you download: Freedownloadmanager.org
Restart your computer after the download manager is installed.
After the download manager is installed and you have restarted the computer right click on the installation file link in the email sent to you when you purchased the guide and and select "Copy Link Address" which will put the link address into the computer's clipboard.
FreeDownloadManager will detect the link in your clipboard and offer to start the download. Quick OK and the download process will begin.
There will be a small desktop button showing the active download. After it is finished, click on "open" or "folder" and double click on the downloaded file name. The installation will begin.
Did you get an error code saying "access denied. Invalid user space name or password"?
The download connection must have stopped for more than the allowed interval.
OK, let's see if we can fix it.
Check your power settings to be sure it is not going into standby mode when you are not using it.
To do this, go to the desktop and right click on the little battery icon in the taskbar and select Power Options.
On the left of the power settings window you will see "change when the computer sleeps". click on that.
Under the power column set never for all three boxes (never dim the display, never turn off the display and never put the computer to sleep when it is plugged in).
Click OK. and OK to close the options box.
Begin the download process again, don't resume, restart. Keep an eye on the active download desktop indicator.
If the speed drops to zero and stays there for any length of time make sure you are still connected to the internet and, if not, fix the internet connection problem as quickly as you can. If the Freedownloadmanager does not automatically begin showing the download speed again, click on the pause button then, after that changes to a play icon, click the play icon to resume the download.
The cruising guide must be activated for the computer you intend to use it on while cruising. It will only be activated on one computer unless you purchase a second license.
1. Open the email from Rocket-Guides.com with the username and password you'll need to activate the guide.
2. Be sure your computer is connected to the Internet.
3. Suspend your antivirus program and firewall for 15 minutes..
Note: If you do not turn off the antivirus program be aware that some antivirus programs, like Avast, may offer to run the software in a "sandbox". Refuse this because the program will be unable to register the license if it is in a sandbox. The antivirus program Webroot can prevent the guide from running so turn it off before attempting to activate the guide.
4. The installation file is a normal Windows style installer. Double click on the INSTALL-CRUISING-NEWCALEDONIA.EXE file and follow the wizard.
5. The first time the cruising guide starts you will be notified that an activation key is required. Click OK and a registration window will appear. Enter your username and password provided by email when you purchased the guide or provided by the dealer when you purchased the guide. Click on the big blue button in the registration window.
6. There may be a brief delay and you'll see your username and activation key. Then just click on the OK button and the guide will be activated.
If you purchased the guide online you were sent an email from Rocket Guides with the activation information, including the username and password.
If you did not get the email, use this contact link to send an email asking for another email.
Be SURE to use the same email address you used when you purchased the guide.
If you purchased the guide from a bookstore or agent they should have given you the username, password, and activation instructions. If they failed to do so, contact them and ask for the activation information. We can't help you because we don't know who buys the guides from a book store or agent.
Be aware that the only authorized sales agents are: Boat Books Australia, Boat Books New Zealand, Noumea Ocean, Noumea Yacht Services and the Island Cruising Association.
This is complicated so if there is any way your crusing computer can go online do it that way. It could not be simpler to activate the computer if it is online.
But if your cruising computer really can't access the Internet you can get the activation key from another computer that can go online (eg from an Internet Cafe, smart phone or tablet) .
Here's what you need to do.
1. Insert a USB drive into your cruising computer. Open a txt file with notepad.
2. Start the cruising guide program and when the registration window appears, click on the "this computer can't go online" link under the normal login form.
3. Highlight and copy the hardware code (it will look something like 653C-6409). Paste this into the text file.
4. Type the activation website address you see there and paste it into the text file.
5. Open the email from rocket-guides.com with your username and password. Copy these and paste them into the text file and save it to the USB drive
6. Open the txt file on a computer that can go on the Internet.
7. Go to the website url you copied from the registration window and log in using your username and password.
8. The activation process will send your username and activation key to your email address.
9. You can also highlight and copy the activation key and paste it into your text file then save it back to the USB drive.
10. Insert the USB key in your cruising computer, open the txt file and copy the activation key.
11. Start the guide, click on the can't go online link, and paste the activation key in the appropriate text box. Enter your username then click Enter Key.
If you try to activate the cruising guide on a second computer you will see a notification that you have already activated the guide on one computer. You'll see the hardware code of that computer and the activation key that works only on that computer. You will also see a link to a page where you can purchase a second license.
Or, log in to your online members account page using the login link in the support menu above where you'll see the same information and link.
Log in to your members account page using the login link in the support menu above to see your activation information, order a second license, or order a DVD or download of the latest version of the guide.
Use the Login link on the menu above to log in to the New Caledonia Member Page.
The Cruising Guide to Vanuatu Members Page is at ncvan.us/v
Open the control panel on your computer and select Programs and Features.
The listing for the cruising guide will give the version number. The version number is the month and year of publication.
The latest version is shown on with the purchase information on the website for each guide.
During 2011 to 2014 we revisited all the anchorages in new caledonia and added new photos,GPS route information, new anchorages and many other new features.We also changed the activation licensing system and can no longer activate the previous versions.
We are constantly cruising in New Caledonia and update the guides with many improvements. Check on our Google+ page for up to date notices to mariners and information on the latest versions.
If the version of your guide is dated after 20 April 2012 visit your online membership page using the login link in the support menu above for the New Caledonia Cruising Guide or ncvan.us/v for the Vanuatu Cruising Guide to upgrade to the newest version. You will need your username and password to log in.
If you don't know your username or password use the contact form to request access to the membership page where you can update your guide to the latest version by download or new DVD. Be sure to use the email address you used when you purchased the guide or the username given to you if you purchased the guide from an agent.
If the version of your guide is dated before 20 April 2012 you can update to the latest versions of the cruising guide and the tourism guide using the order forms below. We no longer support versions prior to April 2012.
On the checkout form be SURE to include the serial number printed on your cruising guide program label or the original PayPal transaction number. The upgrade will not work with your existing license but you can now activate quickly and easily online.
Enter the Serial Number printed in red on your New Caledonia Cruising Guide disk label or your order number from a download, then click the Buy Now button to purchase the upgrade DVD of the latest version of the cruising guide and the tourism guide to New Caledonia for Euro 49.50. If you don't have a serial number on your DVD or have lost the DVD email me using the link on the left with details of when and where you purchased the guide.
Enter the Serial Number printed in red on your New Caledonia Cruising Guide disk label or your download email then click the Buy Now button to purchase a download for the upgrade to the latest version of the cruising guide and the tourism guide to New Caledonia for Euro 35.00.
Enter the serial number(s) of your guides and click the buy now button to purchase the latest versions of all 4 guides on DVD.
Enter the serial number(s) of your guides and click the buy now button to download the latest versions of all 4 guides.
More than likely your Antivirus is to blame. Either it is blocking the guide from registering the activation key or worse, it has deleted the exe file for the guide without bothering to tell you about it.
1. Check in C:/Program Files (x86)/Cruising New Caledonia/ and be sure the file NEWCALCRUISING.exe is still there.
2. If the file is there, right click on the icon for your anti-virus and open the program's window. If your antivirus (like Avast) has a "sandbox" feature you will need to exempt NEWCALCRUISING.exe from being run in a sandbox. Then suspend your Antivirus protection for 20 minutes.
3. Log into your members page using the login link on the support menu above, highlight and copy the activation key you see there.
4. Right click on NEWCALCRUISING.exe and select "run as administrator" and when the registration box opens click on the "can't go online" link under the big blue button and paste in the activation key. Enter your username and click OK.
5. If NEWCALCRUISING.exe is NOT in the Cruising New Caledonia folder your Antivirus has either deleted or quarantined it. ALL good antivirus program will let you designate a file as a false positive so it can be removed from quarantine and allowed to run. I was amazed to find out there are now some antivirus programs that won't give you that option. To be sure search on Google for the name of your antivirus program and "how to exempt a false positive program"
If you have an antivirus program that will not let you specifiy a false positive and does not put the suspect program into Quarantine I strongly suggest you get another (better) antivirus program (like Avast or my favorite Malwarebytes Premium).
BEFORE you junk the old computer uninstall the cruising guide from it. If the version of your guide is earlier than April 2012 (check the date of the file in the C:/program files/cruising guide folder) we can no longer reactivate or transfer your license and you will need to update to the latest version of the guide (see the update link above).
Click on the windows tab and enter "uninstall a program" or go to the Control Panel / Programs and Feature , locate Cruising New Caledonia and then click on Uninstall.
The uninstall program will ask if you really want do do this (duh) just click OK and when it is done copy the removal code. Send the uninstall code into an email sent from the contact link on this website. Be certain to use the same email address that you used when you purchased the guide or, if you purchased the guide from an agent, include your username in the email.
The database will be reset for re-activation within 24hrs.
If the version of your guide is later than April 2012 (Open the cruising guide folder in C:/program files and check the date of the file) log into your online membership page using the link in the support menu above with your username and password.
Scroll down to order a second license.
If you do not have the email or a username and password to log in, use the contact form to request access to the online membership page where you can update your guide and order a second license. Be sure to use the email address you used when you purchased the guide or the username given to you if you purchased the guide from an agent.
If your guide is dated before 20 April 2012 (you had a site code activation) and would like to update to the latest version (huge number of corrections and additions and better user interface) you can download the update for Euro 35.00 or order the latest edition on DVD for Euro 49.50 (mailing and handling included).
NOTE: We are no longer able to reactivate versions of the guides published prior to April 2012 so if you have a new computer or have made major changes to your computer and the guide requires re-activation you will need to update to the latest version.
On the checkout form be SURE to include the serial number printed on your cruising guide program label or the original PayPal transaction number. If you don't have a serial number or PayPal transaction ID, email us a photo of your proof of purchase using the email address you used when you purchased the guide.
Enter the Serial Number printed in red on your New Caledonia Cruising Guide disk label or your order number from a download, then click the Buy Now button to purchase the upgrade DVD of the latest version of the cruising guide and the tourism guide to New Caledonia for Euro 49.50.
Enter the Serial Number printed in red on your New Caledonia Cruising Guide disk label or your download email PLUS Windows or Mac then click the Buy Now button to purchase a download for the upgrade to the latest version of the cruising guide and the tourism guide to New Caledonia for Euro 35.00.
DURING CHECKOUT INDICATE IF YOU WANT WINDOWS OR MACINTOSH FILES IN THE COMMENTS BOX.
The license is able to detect which computer it is on by detecting hardware and software parameters. If you change your DVD Drive or hard drive or install a new operating system the registration box could appear again.
1. Uninstall the guide from the Control Panel Programs and Features and write down the uninstall number code.
2. Email the uninstall code to us using the contact form.
3. We will reset the database so you can reactivate the guide.